It’s formally bug season and I’m scrambling to search out pure methods to repel all of the bugs thriving from the wetness Could left behind. The summer season months are forward of us and pure citronella oil is an absolute should. Utilizing utterly pure elements, let’s enterprise into the great world of candle making and defend our outside area the pure manner with DIY citronella candles! These pesky mosquitoes are not any match for these highly effective insect repellent candles!
We stay in Oklahoma and our state is notorious for allergy symptoms and bugs. There are screens on each window as a result of there isn’t a manner you could possibly permit a gateway for bugs to affix your family. If mosquitos are an issue in your neck of the woods, you’ll need to contemplate making these DIY citronella candles. Plus, I’ll provide you with a couple of extra recommendations on how you can keep bug free this summer season!
Why Make DIY Citronella Candles?
Making your individual DIY citronella candles is a good suggestion for a couple of causes. One, it’s artistic and enjoyable. Received’t you get a way of pleasure burning selfmade candles? Additionally, they create ambiance. Candle gentle on the patio, a glass of wine, good music-it’s a vibe that’s for certain! The most important motive is they supply safety towards mosquitos. Whereas they aren’t the best bug repellent you could possibly use, they’re value utilizing and supply a minimum of one layer of safety. I wish to put on THESE non-toxic bands in addition to preserve my selfmade bug spray shut. Whereas training all three habits, you must be capable to have an pleasant time outdoor.
A few years in the past I wrote a put up on a DIY Bug Repellent recipe and in addition a Bug Chew Balm. I talked concerning the risks of standard bug sprays and harassed that squirting copious quantities of bug repellent time and again is very poisonous. Through the years I’ve made a number of new batches of my bug repellent and have already put it to good use however I’ve at all times wished to make my very own citronella candles as a result of I LOVE candles and who doesn’t want as a lot safety as they will get with these dang mosquitos!
You may also like my citronella bug repellent cubes as effectively! These candle wax melts are easy to make and require no wick!
First, a couple of issues about Citronella Important Oil…
Citronella oil is a well-liked and efficient pure mosquito repellent. It’s additionally a superb soother for bug bites! It’s a potent anti fungal in addition to antibacterial and antiseptic.
In a 2011 problem of Tropical Medicine & International Health, an evaluation of 11 research on the capabilities of citronella oil discovered that the important oil probably supplied as much as three hours of safety towards mosquitoes.
Citronella oil repels mosquitos by blocking the scent of people that pulls them.
Second, a couple of issues about beeswax candles…..
Do you know that beeswax really purifies the air? Beeswax releases NEGATIVE IONS into the air very like diffusing important oils does. Air pollution like smoke, dander, pollen, mud and filth carry a POSITIVE cost. The destructive beeswax ions connect to the optimistic pollution and mainly wrestle them to the bottom to the place they’re inactive!
Burning beeswax candles could be extraordinarily helpful for these of you affected by allergy symptoms and bronchial asthma! In case you are burning pure beeswax candles, it solely takes a pair hours of burning to assist clear the air!
For extra detailed step-by-step (with image) directions, seek advice from my put up on how you can make beeswax candles.
What You’ll Want for DIY Citronella Candles:
- 1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lb. Beeswax
- 1 ounce (600 drops) Citronella Important Oil
- Glass containers or jars in your candles.
- Lead Free Wicks
- garments pins
- A medium sized pot
- A glass pyrex bowl with spout
- A cookie sheet
- Put together the empty containers by utilizing a scorching glue gun to attach the candle wick within the backside of the jar or glass candle holder and steadying it with a garments pin.
- Place your ready glass candle holders within the oven at 170 levels.
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium sized pot 1/2 manner full with water, place a glass pyrex bowl within the water.
- Pour beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl and permit to totally soften. Preserve your range high on low-medium warmth.
- Take away glass bowl from warmth and add 80-100 drops of Citronella to the wax.
- Pour scorching wax into glass containers. I used to be capable of make 5 candles from 1 lb. of wax. You possibly can see the sizes from my footage.
- Regular the wicks and let the wax cool, ideally in a heat (170F) oven. (see why beneath)
- Trim your wicks. (1/2 inch from the wax)
- Permit to set for 48 hours with a view to treatment earlier than lighting.
- Purchase low cost citronella important oil. There isn’t a must go along with a top quality model.
- We aren’t making use of it to our pores and skin and we’re utilizing so much. I used THIS oil.
- If in case you have a bunch of outdated candles mendacity round and even candles that you just did not burn utterly, you’ll be able to soften the wax and use them on this recipe. Beeswax is after all a more healthy possibility however I at all times like to repurpose gadgets in my residence that I not use! Skip the coconut oil if you’re utilizing already made candles.
- When you want to skip the beeswax, you should use soy wax as an alternative. Skip the coconut oil should you do.
Candle Making Ideas and Methods:
- Warmth your glass candle containers within the oven on low (170 levels Fahrenheit) whereas your beeswax melts on the range high. This can permit little or no “shock” to the beeswax whereas it’s being poured into the containers which can forestall cracking. I put mine on a cookie sheet for simple removing.
- When you’ve poured the wax into your candle containers, permit your candles to chill within the oven at 170 levels Fahrenheit along with your oven door barely ajar. This can forestall cracking as effectively. Make sure to carry on cookie sheet!!
- Cleansing up after beeswax could be an unimaginable process. I recommend you both use a disposable container to soften your coconut oil and beeswax in, or you’ll be able to put your glass bowl within the oven, permit the remaining beeswax to utterly soften, then wipe it out with a paper towel. It’s the one manner I’ve discovered to scrub up.
- When first lighting your candles, at all times level the flame on the backside of the wick in order that your candle will burn appropriately.
- The primary time you burn your candle, be certain you’ve gotten sufficient time to let it burn lengthy sufficient for the wax to soften evenly on the highest of the candle. That is essential with any candle and helps “practice” your candle to not tunnel. (see beneath for extra recommendations on avoiding tunneling)
- Don’t get in a rush when melting your beeswax. When you soften your wax in too excessive a temp, you could possibly render the beeswax ineffective. Preserve the range high on low-medium warmth.
- Don’t add your important oils whereas the warmth remains to be on the wax. If the wax is just too scorching, the oil will fritter away and in addition be ineffective.
Associated Put up: Important Oil Spider Spray
Additional Useful Tricks to Preserve Mosquitos Away:
- As talked about above, THESE bands are nice. They’re low cost, snug and straightforward to move out at events.
- Plant lemon balm and/or citronella round your patio or have been you want to hang around. These crops add an additional layer of safety towards annoying bugs. Citronella is a “tender perennial” so should you don’t have a tough winter, it almost definitely will come again every spring. Lemon Balm can also be a perennial and a bit extra hardy.
- Drop a couple of additional drops of important oil on the floor of your candles earlier than lighting.
- Lemon Eucalyptus oil is one other pure oil that works effectively towards mosquitos and can be utilized in a diffuser outdoor.
- Burn citronella incense whereas outdoors.
- Test round your patio area for any standing/stagnant water. You’d be stunned how eliminating water round your sitting space could make an enormous distinction.
Bother Taking pictures Candle Tunneling
Do-it-yourself beeswax candles, whereas straightforward to make, are arduous to get proper. As you’ll be able to see from my pics, my candles are tunneling (when the wax solely burns down the center of the candle).
I’ve found out a couple of tips to maintain your candles from tunneling and deal with it intimately in my how you can make beeswax candles put up. I’ll inform you right here that it’s crucial that you just “practice” your candles the primary time you gentle them. This implies, you allow them to burn lengthy sufficient that the wax melts all the best way to the outer edges of the container. Beeswax candles have a tendency to wish some assist with this so I’d recommend you employ foil to assist. See image beneath.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to make use of 2 wicks in a single container. I’m discovering that solely votives work with 1 wick. Something bigger wants 2 if not 3 wicks.
Have enjoyable with this enjoyable selfmade citronella candle recipe! This 12 months, we want all the assistance we will get outdoors!
You may also get pleasure from my tutorial for making soy candles.
Making your individual selfmade citronella candles is a good way to salvage these summer season nights spent outdoors. They’re straightforward to make and comparatively reasonably priced. I believe THESE jars are an awesome dimension to make fairly a couple of candles to maintain available to carry as hostess presents to barbecues!